Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Establishes and maintains standards for the Mental Health Services team members, with focus on quality of patient care and service, accessibility to clients, client retention, and productivity of team members.
- Provides direct patient care at multiple AHF Southern Florida Healthcare Centers, including urgent and emergent psychiatric assessments, psychiatric consultation and management of mental health care.
- Directs and supervises the care and services provided by other Mental Health Services team members, including physicians, mid-level providers, social workers and other staff.
- Leads regularly scheduled Mental Health Services team meetings.
- Coordinates with the National Director of Mental Health and the Southern Regional Medical Director, the Director of Nursing, and Healthcare Center leadership teams to assure effective management of mental health care services.
- Maintains compliance with services and deliverables as defined in grantor agency contracts, and works collaboratively with the Department of Medicine administration and the grants administration team to assure that grant and third-party payer reimbursement and operating expenses are managed responsibly.
- Develops and fosters collegial relationships with other healthcare agencies to identify opportunities to expand availability and improve quality of Mental Health Services for AHF clients. Works collaboratively with Department of Medicine administration and Business Development teams to pursue opportunities to obtain funding support and/or form relationships with other agencies.
- Maintains adequate mental health services team member staffing to assure accessibility and effective management of client needs, including coordination of vacation and conference schedules to assure adequate coverage.
- Performs/oversees chart and peer review processes following the guidelines established by the Medical Policies and Procedures Committee.
- Assists with investigation of patient and provider grievances related to Mental Health Services.
- Attends Southern Regional Medical Directors’ monthly meeting.
- Attends and participates in bimonthly provider meetings.
- Attends providers’ monthly Case Conference meeting to present/discuss challenging psychiatric patient situations and to provide educational Mental Health presentations
- Ensures attendance of Mental Health Services team members at AHF seminar/CME opportunities, as appropriate. Recommends CME opportunities, and contributes to education of AHF providers and Healthcare Center clinical teams about relevant mental health topics.
- Assists with counseling provider and other staff in Mental Health Services, consulting with the Chief of Medicine and the Human Resources Department as necessary.
- Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures and programs.
- Responds to and participates in all external agency audit requirements.
- Provides periodic educational presentations for Healthcare Center staff.
Additional duties for the position of Physician – refer to job description for HCC Physician.
Participation in AHF Meetings/Committees
- AHF Provider Retreat
- Medical Staff
- Medical Directors
- Pharmacy & Therapeutics
Supervises and manages Mental Health Services team members. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include assisting with interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.