The Deputy Director (DDN) Nursing Services is a senior member of the Department of Medicine (DOM) Executive Team (Medicine, Nursing and Operations) and works directly with the Director of Nursing (DON). The DON and DDN are responsible for projecting and integrating the AHF Mission and Core Values of the organization, as well as AHF’s Management Philosophy in the nursing leadership of the Healthcare Centers (HCC). The DDN is second to the DON in the nursing leadership and pivotal in determining and implementing the short and long-range strategic goals and vision of the Healthcare Centers’ nursing services. In the absence of the DON, the DDN is recognized as the Nursing Services leader. The DON and DDN provide direction to the HCCs’ nursing staff regarding performance and provision of patient care services to achieve clinical excellence in accordance with government regulations, contractual obligations and accreditation standards. The DDN assists in creating a nursing environment in which collaboration is valued and excellence in clinical care and education is promoted and achieved.
The position balances the delivery of effective and efficient nursing care, and working relationships with other clinical disciplines with evidence based standards of care and best practices.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Deputy Director of Nursing Services duties shall include, but not be limited to:
- Leads and implements, with the DON and in collaboration with the Senior Medical Leadership (Chief of Medicine, Deputy Chief of Medicine and Regional Medical Directors) nursing’s direction for the Healthcare Centers
- Supports a nursing management structure that provides the direction and support required to affect high quality patient outcomes and shares responsibility for the practice of nursing and maintains established standards across the clinical settings
- Works with the DON to develop, implement and maintain policies and procedures for nursing services
- Works with DON to conduct regularly scheduled meetings with HCC Nurse Managers to exchange information, provide on-going support and problem resolution and collaborate on new/revised processes
- Maintains contact with HCCs via regular in-person visits, email and/or phone calls
- Participates in assessing and ensuring that the activities of the licensed and non-licensed nursing staff are within defined scope of practice, defined state laws and applicable Medical Board determinations.
- Assists HCC Nurse Managers in addressing and responding to patient grievances and complaints related to nursing quality of service issues.
- Works with the DON to ensure that operational activities and initiatives are in compliance with the most current Federal, State and County regulations and contractual requirements
- Ensures that documentation, training and policies for the HCCs’ clinical operations are always in an “audit-ready” state.
- Assists in implementing patient-centric care model for the Healthcare Centers
- Participates in developing and monitoring performance targets for nursing services based on the number of patient visits, quality of care, external audit scores and Client Satisfaction scores.
- Assists Nurse Managers in working with the Healthcare Center patient metric reports and defining opportunities for improvement in areas that are below optimal levels.
- Ensures that RN notes are completed in a timely manner and that all billable services performed by the non-provider clinical staff are properly coded and submitted to the Billing Department in a timely manner.
- Monitors timeliness of patient workflow ensuring that customer service and satisfaction levels are achieved.
- Implements specific performance measures and monitoring tools, and quickly and proactively responds to HCC clinical operational problems. Compiles and prepares various status reports for management in order to analyze trends and make recommendations
- Assists in developing annual bonus awards for Healthcare Center nursing staff
- Assists with chart review and peer review under the guidelines established by the AHF Nursing Policies and Procedures Committee
- Participates in Quality Management Program and works with DON to define key quality indicators and apply those defined through contractual requirements.
- Conducts periodic HCC audits to ensure that performance/quality standards are being maintained and to ensure compliance with all applicable rules and regulations
- Communicates regularly and frequently with HCC RN Managers via individual and group or regional meetings
- Provides HCC RN Managers and HCC Medical Directors regular and frequent feedback regarding patient satisfaction and clinical performance metrics.
- Works with the DON to schedule in-person visits to HCCs so that each HCC is visited at least yearly by either the DON or DDN
- Assists in the development of a comprehensive nursing staff education program including orientation and onboarding processes; continuing education and staff development, standard operating procedures, and Healthcare Center Nurse Manager staff and business unit management
- Creates leadership and management training with a focus on development of Nurse Managers as clinical and operational managers pertinent to their management areas
- Promotes standardization and consistency of processes and promotes continuous readiness for audits and inspections by grant agencies, regulatory or accreditation agencies, and third-party payers.
- Participates in providing Nurse Manager education, oversight and support in completing functions that drive Healthcare Center revenue and compliance adherence with decreasing Missing Charges; adhering to budget and cost containment initiatives and targets; and compliance in audit reporting
- HCC Operations
- Develops with the DON, FTE, salary and OTS budgets by Healthcare Center and monitors variance reports for salary and expense budget management. Ensures that operating expenses are well within the prescribed limits of budget plans and fiscal guidelines.
- Supports preparation for launch of new HCC sites, including development of staffing models and justifications for staff to be recruitment and onboarding in addition to procurement of supplies, equipment and new accounts for delivery of clinical services
- Participation in AHF Meetings/Committees
- Participates in AHF Nursing Services and Department of Medicine meetings as designated:
- DOM Joint Meetings
- Nursing Meetings—Nurse Manager and Referral Coordinator
- Medical Staff and Medical Director meetings
- Infection Prevention and Control Committee
- 1:1 meetings with assigned HCC Nurse Managers
- Quality Management meetings
- Pharmacy P & T Meetings
- Medical and Nursing P & P Meetings
Assists with the management of Nurse Managers who supervise the Healthcare Center staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include assisting with interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning; assigning and directing work; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.