Pharmacist role is to provide technical and management oversight to the AHF Kenya operations in Mombasa and other areas. The major roles are planning, budgeting, coordination and technical oversight of pharmacy section of AHF Kenya. It also involves human resource management, logistics and logistics management and reporting. He/ She ensures standards of pharmacy practice are upheld in all sites
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives deliveries including supplies/commodities and then verifies them against documentation.
- Ensures timely dispatch & adequate packaging of commodities to facilitate safe delivery to destined healthcare centers.
- Enters data into data base or appropriate software to support tracking and accountability.
- Ensure proper and safe storage of goods and supplies.
- Provide relevant information to management on the status of inventory in the stores especially slow moving commodities.
- Prepare and generate usage reports for accounting purposes or as required in a timely manner.
- Receive duly approved stores requisitions and distribute supplies to respective persons/department.
- Reconcile invoices, delivery notes with the physical count and notify the supervisor immediately in case of any discrepancies.
- Ensure proper documentation and filing of inventory records
- Timely update of inventory management tools i.e. goods received note, stock/bin cards, Tally inventory software and generate inventory reports.
- Maintain and update asset register and advise management on the status of the assets.
- Participate in stock taking and asset verification
- Participate in forecasting of supplies including drugs, equipment and laboratory reagents.
- Ensure segregation of duties
- Undertakes other duties as maybe assigned. Logistics Management
- Plans and forecasts for program drugs and medical supplies(includes laboratory commodities and medical equipment)
- Receives and verifies drugs and medical supplies delivered to the central stores
- Participates in the procurement of drugs and medical supplies
- Maintain stock, storing and handling it properly.
- Maintain records, such as pharmacy files, inventories, control records for narcotics and controlled drugs
- Ensures timely delivery and adequate stocks of drugs and medical supplies are available in the sites
- Coordinates site level reports and requests
- From time to time; works in clinics, to
- Review prescriptions to assure accuracy and to evaluate their suitability.
- Provide information and advice regarding drug interactions, side effects, dosage and proper medication storage.
- Dispense prescriptions and provide additional support to the medical team
Human Resource Management
- Participate in recruitment supervising and monitoring performance of staff
- Participates in staff capacity building namely training, support supervision and mentorship activities
- Teach pharmacy technicians, Pharmacy assistance and students serving as interns.
- Directly supervises all the Pharmacy Technologist including Pharmacy assistants and any other employees both medical and non-medical, who are involved in the medical management of patients
Quality Assurance/ Control
- Advise procurement team on the selection of medication brands, medical equipment and health-care supplies.
- Analyze prescribing trends to monitor patient compliance and to prevent excessive usage or harmful interactions.
- Collaborate with other health care professionals to plan, monitor, review, and evaluate the quality and effectiveness of drugs and drug regimens, providing advice on drug applications and characteristics.
- Publish educational information and provide continuing medical education for other pharmacy staff, doctors, and/or patients
- Manage pharmacy operations and perform administrative duties
- Convene staff meetings
- Compile reports
- Liaise with key stakeholders eg MoH, KEMSA and vendors