Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Adheres to the policies and procedures of the Healthcare Center, the Nursing Department, the Public Health Division, the Women's Clinic and the AIDS Healthcare Foundation.
Collects specimens such as urine, blood, pharyngeal swabs, sputum and stool specimens and rectal swabs as ordered, for laboratory testing and instructs patients in home collection, treatment, aftercare and follow-up, when appropriate.
Performs phlebotomy as ordered and according to standards of practice for transport to laboratory. Checks patients insurance for identifying appropriate laboratory for sending specimens.
Documents services performed for compliance and reporting purposes—nursing documentation to be completed the day of service or within 24 hours at the latest.
On order of the medical provider, administers treatment per oral, and intramuscular injection (IM) according to standards of practice.
Reviews physician orders, laboratory requests or follow-up needs with patient.
Collaborates with other nursing personnel or clinic staff and participates as a team member. May receive laboratory results over the telephone and transmit them to the licensed nurse or the healthcare provider, and the patient's medical provider in a timely manner.
Documents observations as requested by the healthcare provider and/or nurse manager in the patient's medical record.
Performs front office duties by gathering new patient intake including: patient registration, family history, past medical and surgery history, current medications, social history and review of systems; answering telephone calls, returning messages, and greeting patients.
Reports changes in patient’s physical condition to the medical provider.
Maintains supplies and cleanliness of examination rooms, laboratory, and work areas. Ensures cleanliness of patient rooms at end of day.
Monitors patient care areas including laboratory and exam rooms for expired and damaged supplies and replaces as appropriate. Notifies Nurse Manager of supplies that require ordering and restocks to reasonable levels.
Assists medical provider with examinations and procedures as assigned. Cleans exam tables with appropriate disinfectant and replaces paper between patients.
Maintains monitoring logs as directed by the supervisor.
Ensures maintenance of patient confidentiality.
Communicates in a tactful and professional manner.
Maintains standard precautions for infection control.
Ability to work during evenings and weekends.
Sensitive to different cultures and backgrounds.
Adheres to AHF guidelines on personal appearance.
- Collects and documents patient's chief complaint, weight and height pain scale ranking, temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure and pulse oximetry reading as required, at patient healthcare visit as ordered or per protocol.
- Completes treatments and procedures as ordered by the provider including EKGs, nebulizer treatments, wound dressings,
- Completes ‘chart scrubbing’ process including review of the patient’s record to ensure that all patient test, procedure and referral results are present in the EMR pre-clinic visit or that it is investigated to understand why results are not available. All referral and procedure results to be scanned into the patient’s EMR and labeled for easy identification.
- Completes County disease reporting forms timely and accurately.
- Facilitates review of patient’s medications pre-visit with provider.
- Administers Purified Protein Derivative (PPD), as ordered.
- Arriving on time and prepared to work at the beginning of the work shift. Adheres to 15 minute break times — follows assignment to leaving and returning on time.
We at AIDS Healthcare Foundation believe that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status or disability. The right of equal employment opportunity extends to recruiting, hiring selection, transfer, promotion, training and all other conditions of employment.